Barclays Early Talent Solution
Multi-stage Immersive Assessment
Barclays needed a solution that would engage both candidates and business through clever use of recruitment technologies.
Barclays wanted to educate candidates about banking, their programmes, and culture; allow candidates to drive the process in terms of time and convenience; and create a process that allowed them to remove educational screening criteria. In addition, they wanted each of their candidates to learn from the process by providing exceptional feedback and needed a solution that would support their 18,000 applications globally.
The solution aimed to deliver a fully immersive, multi-stage process that was underpinned by the strengths methodology. In particular, was a focus on the core strengths and cognitive abilities needed to be successful at Barclays, which were identified through the Capp Success Analysis at the beginning of the project.
The finalised recruitment journey consists of 4 key stages, revealing a compelling business case study as candidates progress. The first two stages are delivered using documentary-style dramas and business line specific in-tray exercises that candidates respond to in real-time using the latest recruitment technologies. The next element is a Strengths-based Telephone Interview conducted by the business stakeholders so that candidates can gain a deeper understanding of the programme they are applying for. The narrative concludes at the final stage where Barclays managers observe candidates responding to an immersive challenge.
Each candidate is provided with an automated, customised feedback report and offer of a coaching call, regardless of what stage they get to.
- 26,401 applications from over 1,700 universities
- 31% applications from female candidates; 47% BAME; 4% LGBT
- 36% increase in applications from disadvantaged backgrounds
- 266 offers from 106 universities
- 31% hires are female; 43% BAME; 4% LGBT
- Best Candidate Experience - FIRM Awards, 2018
- Excellence in Innovation – Association of Business Psychologists, 2017
- Best Social Mobility Strategy – Target Jobs National Graduate Recruitment Awards, 2017
- Best Candidate Experience – RAD Awards, 2018
- Supplier-led Innovation and Collaboration – HR Distinction Awards, 2018
- Best Candidate Experience – In-house Recruitment Awards, 2017
- Best Innovation – Drum Recruitment Business Awards, 2017
- Innovation in Recruitment – Personnel Today, 2017
- Excellence in Assessment – Association of Business Psychologists, 2017
- Best Graduate Assessment and Selection Strategy – AGR Student Recruitment Awards, 2017
- Best Candidate Experience – Recruiter Awards, 2017
- Best Diversity Strategy – Target Jobs National Graduate Recruitment Awards, 2017
- Best Innovation in Recruitment – Target Jobs National Graduate Recruitment Awards, 2017
- Best Candidate Experience – FIRM Awards, 2017
- Best Candidate Interaction – RAD Awards, 2017