EY Early Talent Solution
Access through Social Mobility
EY were under pressure to improve access to their industry with a process that removed upfront barriers and eliminated adverse impact.
In the UK there is a still strong link between socio-economic background and academic achievement, and career prospects. EY recognised that they had a responsibility to address this. To help train the UK’s future business leaders and to develop the skills of the UK workforce, EY wanted to create a level playing field for talented young people trying to enter the profession, regardless of their background.
EY believed that one of the biggest barriers to the profession was the inequality that exists in the education system. In order to challenge this, EY needed to further develop their robust recruitment process to allow them to remove upfront barriers and ensure all candidates, despite their background, progress through the process.
The new solution focused on an individual’s strengths and future potential rather than academic performance, by using Capp’s suite of online assessments designed to gauge a candidate’s potential through the testing of their strengths, technology mindset, and numerical and verbal ability. This approach ensures that all candidates, regardless of their educational or socio-economic background, have the same opportunity to apply to EY and demonstrate their potential.
- Removal of the upfront academic screening criteria (300 UCAS points and 2.1 degree)
- 18% of graduates and school leavers would have previously been ineligible to apply due to minimum grade requirements
Significant improvement in Diversity hiring statistics:
- 45% female
- 30% black and minority ethnic
- 60% state school educated
- 37% first generation to go to university
- 9% were eligible for free school meal
- Best Diversity and Inclusion Recruitment Strategy – FIRM Awards, 2018
- Excellence in Assessment – Association of Business Psychologists, 2017
- Best Social Mobility Strategy – Target Jobs National Graduate Recruitment Awards, 2017
- Best Diversity and Inclusion Strategy – AGR Student Recruitment Awards, 2017
- Best Recruitment Programme – UK Social Mobility Awards, 2017
- Innovation in Recruitment – Recruiter Awards, 2016
- Advancement of Social Mobility in Graduate Recruitment – Target Jobs National Graduate Recruitment Awards, 2016